Saturday, July 2, 2011

June 17, 2011- Hosted Indian dinner for my friends

4 hrs

So, all my American friends at crew know that I am Indian-American, but they have no idea about my culture or food. So, it is summer break, and one of the rare days that my dad was off from work. I asked him, if I could invite a few of my friends and if we could cook some Indian food for them. I invited Kelsey, Erich, Brandon, Jared, and Ben over for dinner. I helped my mom and dad cook Indian food for the first time. One of my big favorites is "Tandoori Chicken", however I have no clue how to make it. So we first brought out some plain yogurt, few table spoons, added a whole bunch of spices to them and now the yogurt looked really red, marinated the chicken in the yogurt and refrigerated it for a couple of hours to let the spices soak in. Then we covered it and cooked it for about 40minutes, and then uncovered it and cooked it for another 20min. We also fried some potato-peas samosas (like sandwiches) and made some plain rice. When my friends came, they really enjoyed the dinner. It was interesting that they ate everything without being fussy at all. I also went and got some Indian soda called Thums up from the indian store to give them the full expierience. The Thums up was also a big hit with them. I wore my Indian shirt (it has like a chinese collar) and also gave one to Brandon to wear. I later on wished I had taken pictures, but I forgot to take them at the time. After dinner, we sat down and watched an Indian movie with English subtitles. It was a fun filled evening. Some of my friends were quite intrigued with all the Indian artifacts that we have in the house. They wanted to learn how to use the Singing bowl. Some of them actually were able to do it.

Lesson learned: This was a good expierience for me to learn how to cook Indian food. And, it was fun because I and my friends had a blast.





No comments:

Post a Comment