Thursday, July 7, 2011

July 6, 2011- Haven Hospice

4h

Today was the first day I volunteered at the Hospice Attic. The Haven Hospice provides support for patients with a life-limiting or terminal illness. This support improves the quality of their lives and relationships during there final days. The hospice requires the help of volunteers in various areas. You can volunteer pretty much at any position, like patient volunteers: provide companionship, support and assistance to patients, administrative volunteers: office and clerical support, alliance volunteers: organize fund raising activities. I personally wanted to volunteer as a patient volunteer, but I am not 18 yet, and therefore considered to be a teen volunteer and I can only offer my services at the Haven Hospice Attic store.

The Attic is important because it provides revenue to support the Hospice. The attic voluneers are involved in day to day operations of the stores. I arrived at the Attic bright and early at 8am. I started accepting donated items. I also realized that there were 3 days worth of stuff that people had brought in for charity. So I started to organize the received items. There was a milieu of whatever you can think of: old cassette players, chairs, clothes, furniture, canned food etc. I also realized that this was a surprisingly dirty job because people's old junk was very dusty and smelly. It was also more physically demanding that I had expected which was pleasant because I got to work my forearms a bit. I had to lift heavy bags of clothes and toss them into a bin. It was nice to know that I was helping the hospice resell items and create revenue to support the patients.

Lesson learned: 1. Somebody's junk can be someone else's gold. 2. Being organized can help in all walks of life, right from school work to processing large number of items.

No comments:

Post a Comment