Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 15, 2011- Haven Hospice

4 hours

I was a volunteer at the Hospice again today. As I am a teen volunteer, I can only work in the Hospice Attic. My main job today was to accept donated items and then process them by sorting them out into similar categories. I was very surprised at the number of people who bring in things everyday. There were at least 20 bags of clothes and things to sort through. I thought this would be a slow paced Job, but I was busy almost all the time and it was pretty hard work to sort and continuously process items and clothing.

It feels rewarding when you place the sorted items out into the sales area after the staff decides what items are suitable for resale. It is very interesting to see how the staff prices the items for resale. Sometimes, I did not see the value in some of the clothes, but the staff said that these were very hot items and have very good resale price. I also learned that people in general are very generous and like donating to the Hospice because it is for a good cause. I will ask my parents to donate items to the Hospice for resale. I will myself donate some of my old clothes and toys, which I don't use anymore. Volunteering at the Haven Hospice has further instilled in me a feeling of helping those who are not so fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment