Sunday, June 19, 2011

January 8, 2011-Historic Haile Homestead

2hrs

10-12AM

I shadowed to become a tour guide at the Historic Haile Homestead at Kanapaha Plantation. I initially took up this responsibility of a tour guide with great hesitation, because I thought that I would not enjoy it. But, I was surprised that it was very interesting to show people around and explain to them the History of the Homestead. The Homestead is a 6200 square foot antebellum home built in 1856 by Thomas Evans and Serena Chestnut Haile (one of the few remaining homes from that era of time). What is really intersting about the Homestead is that it has talking walls; the Haile family wrote on the walls of the home. This was built by slaves who also worked on the 1500 acre cotton plantation surronding the homestead.
http://www.hailehomestead.org/

I also learned a new life lesson: " You will never know until you try".

No comments:

Post a Comment