Thursday, October 6, 2011

September 24, 2011-Haile Homestead Docent

4h

I was a docent today at Haile Homestead. It was a beautiful day in general, however in the morning there were not many people who came out to the Haile Homestead. Although, it was a bit warm outside the Haile Homestead is always cooler by 10 degrees. I learnt that the way the home is designed, if you open the doors on the front and back of the house, cross-ventilation really cools the home down. In spite of the slow start to the day, as the day progressed some families came to visit the Homestead. I gave them tours and talked about the history of the Homestead.

I am always amazed by how different people ask completely different questions about this Historic home. Most people are very intrigued by the talking walls. The Haile family had a habit of writing on their walls. I think that is an excellent way of leaving your mark and thoughts for your next generations. Most people ask about the date of the oldest writing on the wall. The oldest dated writing is from 1859.

Overall, it was fun volunteering today. Every time I am a docent at the Homestead, I realize the value and importance of history. When you study history from a text book, the feeling is very different than actually being a part of that history.



No comments:

Post a Comment