Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 16, 2011-Docent at Haile Homestead

4h
Docent at Haile Homestead

Today was the single largest amount of people who ive ever witnessed at the Homestead. There was a group of 10 people following each of the 3 volunteers here. There were also a large amount of small children. I was volunteering with Caitlyn and and older volunteer, we had to work together to make sure the kids were contained and kept entertained while we gave the adults information. Me and Caitlyn handled a large amount of people while the other volunteer kept the other segment of people occupied in a different area of the house to prevent over crowding. Throughout the time I spent there, I noticed that I was getting better at extemporaneous speaking and making my info relevant to the audience accumulated. The only thing I was not very good at was greeting the guests and being as personable as my female counterparts. I have noticed this in other volunteering positions. I have learned that being personable and friendly to strangers starts with the assumption that everyone is there to be treated nicely and that you have to approach them as guests and not strangers. It helps to pretend that you've known them for a long time so that you are more comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment