Sunday, October 2, 2011

March 20, 2011 - Indian Festival Holi Celebrations

4 h


Indian Festival Celebrations:

This is the most fun Indian Festival that exists. It is called Holi (festival of colors). Growing up in an Indian family has its advantages, because you still get to experience the culture of India, while still enjoying the luxuries of America. I have been involved with this festival all along, however, this was the first year that this was celebrated at my best friends back yard. So, we get there in our clean clothes, and soon find ourselves doused with every possible color and colored water that anyone could lay there hands on. Soon, I realized I was ill-equipped and had to devise sleazy ways of putting color on other friends and family. This was a great learning experience for me because I had not played Holi like this before. I understood the significance of the festival for the first time: after you color everyone with the same color, everyone is EQUAL. The Indian society is very class conscious and everything in India is based on Caste and Class. So, this is one day where everyone forgets what class or caste they are from. This is also a spring harvest festival, where the previous night there is a bonfire and some of the new crop is offered to the fire. After 2h of being wet and colorful, we played the Indian drums to entertain the people and ping-pong to entertain ourselves. Overall, this was the most fun I had in a while. And above all, my parents were happy and I was happy at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment